James has been invited to speak on three globally recognised podcasts.
- The Guru Performance Podcast
- The Performance Nutrition Podcast
- The Fight Science Podcast
The Guru Performance Podcast:
#140 - "Rugby League: Nutritional and Energetic Considerations" with James Morehen PhD
Episode 140 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition's "We Do Science" podcast! In this episode, I (Laurent Bannock) discuss "Rugby League: Nutritional and Energetic Considerations" with Dr James Morehen PhD (Liverpool John Moores University, UK).
Discussion Topics Include:
- Overview of Rugby League
- Growing, building and repairing elite rugby players: the performance nutritionists perspective
- Physical demands of a Rugby League player
- Body composition and function in Rugby
- Energy expenditure: from lab to pitch
- Muscle soreness and inflammation: exploring the causes and the solutions
- Nutrition considerations for rugby league: science to practice
Key Paper(s) Discussed / Referred to:
- GROWING, BUILDING AND REPAIRING ELITE RUGBY PLAYERS: Nutritional and Energetic Considerations
- Position specific differences in the anthropometric characteristics of elite European Super League rugby players
- The Assessment of Total Energy Expenditure During a 14-day 'In-Season' Period of Professional Rugby League Players Using the Doubly Labelled Water Method
- Muscle glycogen utilisation during Rugby match play: Effects of pre-game carbohydrate
- Metabolic demands and replenishment of muscle glycogen after a rugby league match simulation protocol
The Performance Nutrition Podcast:
In Season 3, Episode 30 Dr. Bubbs interviews Dr. James Morehen PhD, performance nutritionist with a research background in rugby league and currently working for the English Football Association. In this episode, James discusses the physical demands and athlete profile in elite professional rugby league. He highlights the fundamental fueling strategies in a sport with high caloric demands, potential nutrition ‘gaps’ in elite rugby players, and whether or not polyphenol supplementation improves recovery post-competition. James also shares his insights and experience in developing travel nutrition plans in preparation for international competitions, rapid rehydration strategies and consequences of dehydration in hot climates and where the next greatest gains in performance nutrition will be made.
The Fight Science Podcast:
Dr. James Morehen is a Performance Nutritionist who works with elite level rugby players, footballers, and professional boxers. He completed his Ph.D. at world renowned Liverpool John Moores University where he assessed the Nutritional and Energetic demands of Rugby Players. In this episode, we discuss his work with former WBA Super Middleweight Champion Rocky Fielding and how Dr. James uses his knowledge of Performance Nutrition to ensure Rocky is stepping in to the ring in peak condition.